A couple weeks ago, I started a journey I'm calling the "100 People Project". The main idea is to have 100 conversations with 100 people about creating and living a life that they love. The goal being to gain some insight into the successes and challenges that people have in being able to create and live at life that they really LOVE. I know that this might be overly cheesy for some folks, so if you are lactose intolerant, you might want to stop reading and just continue watching netflix. For those sharp cheddar lovers out there, or even if you like brie or gouda, you should probably read on :)
So far, there have been interesting insights and themes that have come up in the conversations I have had. One big noticeable theme was around the idea of success. When I asked people what their definition of success is, no one started by talking about their job or career. They talked about being able to spend time doing the things that they love, being around the people they care about, making a contribution to those around them. Interesting stuff, considering the definition of success that we are told early on in life looks a little bit like this equation: well-paying job + nice house + fancy car = success.
I believe that there is a new generation that is re-defining success around creating and living a life that they love, not just "getting by" with a decent job they "don't mind going to", to buy things that they don't have time to use but to really be intentional with the way in with they are designing their life on purpose.
1. The Drifting Life - A life where you just happen to end up somewhere with no real plan or intention. This looks like just getting swept up in the current of life. "Oops, here I am"
2. The Driven Life - This is an over-correction to the drifting life life where the focus is on achieving all of those "markers of success" before anyone else does and being "driven" towards that end goal without really enjoying the process along the way
There is a third option:
3. The Designed Life - This is all about living life on purpose, rather than on accident. THIS is about creating a living a life that you love based on your values and what you care about. In this way of living, he encouraged us to reflect on these three questions:
- How do I want to be remembered?
- "Become the architect of the memories that others will have of you"
- This is about creating and shaping your legacy
- What is important to me?
- "You can do anything you want, just not everything you want"
- This is about consciously choosing your priorities
- What single brave decision do I need to make today?
- "It's not about not being scared, it's about being scared and doing it anyway"
- This is about taking action
How are you doing with what you've been given? Are you drifting? Are you driven? OR are you designing your life?
The final question I have for you is: If not now - when?
I want to end by saying that as much as this is all about creating and designing your life, it is also about ENJOYING your life, right now, just as it is and to begin from a place of gratitude for what you do have. Instead of constant living in the space that life is going to be so much better when... happens. We can learn to cultivate gratitude for the life that we do have and begin from there to create, design and build a life that you love.
Through the conversations I have I hope to find meaningful ways of sharing these insights with the world through a book, workshops, a talk, online resources so that you too can have the tools you need to live your life by design. I am grateful to the people who have let me into their lives so far and I look forward for more conversations as I move through this process.
BE A PART OF IT! If you are interested in being a part of the 100 People Project and talking to me more about how to create a live a life you love end me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with days & times you are available to schedule a 30 min. phone call and we will make it happen!
INSPIRATION STATION NEWSLETTER - Click here to sign-up to receive weekly doses of inspiration from yours truly!!